Sunday, May 31, 2015

First day running 1 gear... (spoiler - It Sucked)

On May 18th - I set my bike in the 38x26 rings and refused to shift.
Push the bike when I have to and spin out when it happend...  38x26.

"Feeling" -
I felt my heart was going to explode at times.
I felt my heart was going to break through my chest plate other times.
I felt I was going to throw up my heart...

So no matter what metrics I can give... this "feeling" was overwhelming.
It was a simple 8.5km ride with little climbs and descents.  Nothing worthy of a heart attack.

I can see why some could find the struggle a single speed to be rewarding, however I was just irritated.  I did not like pushing my bike the times I had to and I did not like running out of gear on the faster sections.  But when I did plug the Garmin into strava, I was shocked to see I did one climb and one descent in my second fastest times.  Hmmm...  interesting.

I got home and cleaned the mud off the bike, took a shower and had a beer.  Because after all... beer is part of single speeding I have been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment