Sunday, May 31, 2015

Single Speed Part Deux

May 20th, Second time out and I had a better idea what to expect, but the trail was not in ideal condition.  it had rained since my last ride and the clay sections were extremely slick...  So I just eased up on those areas and pressed on in others.  Yes, my heart still suffered a bit, but when I got that puking feeling, I backed off.  I cleared a couple hills I had not cleared the last ride and still pushed a few I pushed last time as well.  I was determined to try and enjoy this ride more than the last, so I thought taking a different turn than normal and going into explorer mode would help keep my mind occupied.

About 3.5kms in there is a Y in the trail.  Last year I went right once... but found the trail was poorly maintained.  Since left was always fun, I just made a habit of going that way.  But this day was different.  I plowed down the trail and just kept rolling as long as I could.  There was another Y I had never seen before, I went right this time.  I got a little ways further down the trail and it became un-ride-able.  The trail was over grown,fallen trees, washouts, etc... So I hiked a bike just to see where it comes out.  I eventually came out in a small community farm.  Nothing exciting, but with the mosquitoes out, I just wanted to get rolling.  I found my way to the nearest road and got moving.

Now I am in pavement explorer mode. Where is the next trail head?  No idea and the signs are in kanji... so I suppose I will just have to ride up roads and look.  Sadly almost every road was uphill.


I did a bit of wrong turns before I saw some familiar landmarks from another trail.  I just headed that way and eventually hiked my bike up a ton of steps.  At the top, I was rewarded with this....

But the trail stopped here... I had to blaze my way over to the familiar power line tower that I knew would get me to the trail I wanted.  Eventually, mission accomplished.

On the ride back, the clay sections were slick enough I decided to skip the fin descent and call it a day.  I got just over 11kms, I explored a bit and did not get hurt...  Not bad.  Still could have climbed a few hills I pushed if I had gears, but overall, I did not over do it like the last ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment