Thursday, July 23, 2015

What have I learned so far???

Shanna was positive I would fall in love with the SS setup. I was not nearly as confident, giving it maybe a 30% chance I would like it. My mind is still far from made up and I have the luxury of multiple bikes, so I can take as long as I want to figure out my thoughts on the single speed.

To keep my sanity, I realize I need to drop the idea of speed from my thought process. Today I did a bit on the road and I was spinning out way early. Of course this is the road and if I were to ride my bike on the road exclusively, I would absolutely change the gearing. What do you do when you can't go faster? Look around a bit. See the sites and try to enjoy just being outside. Speed is not the point.... let it go. I know when I get back off road, I keep wondering is just 1 more tooth in the rear would be good. Of course, that kills my flat speed even more, but helps a bit on some rough climbs. Compromise and balance...

Today I started out with the idea of just going to the beach, but since I was looking around and not in a hurry, I decided to look at a few things I have glanced at on the road bike. Took a few pictures (previous post) and generally tried to just take it in. Once I was able to make that mental switch - the ride became enjoyable.

Now I just have to try and find some of that zen on the trails. Every time I have to dismount, I get pissed. I feel beaten and my mood turns a bit sour. I won't go so far as to say I get angry or mad, but something in my head is not in a happy place every time I put a foot down. Maybe I need to ride with other single speeders to get a better idea of how they deal with the disappointment of not clearing an obstacle. I have noticed when that little switch flips in my head, my riding style changes. I point and shoot with the bike. Finesse be damned, I am gonna try and momentum my way over everything. Amazingly, it has worked in several place I was sure ahead of time I would crash.

My mind is not made up. But at least now I think I know what I need to do mentally to try and enjoy the challenge a bit more.

Maybe I am relearning this?

No comments:

Post a Comment