Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Actually got off road last Thursday.... for a minute...

Less than 6 miles of riding and less than half of that off road - however it was more off road than I have done in a several weeks. The ride started off fine as I headed out to hit a new to me trail. Sadly, it was a bit under maintained, so there was some hike a bike. I went so long not going off-road while living in Chinatown, I won't complain about the local trails, but I better appreciate Richmond & Williamsburg VA now. Anyhow - Cruised along the trail a bit and found some trail features. Yay! A small bridge for some air and another little ramp... but somewhere in the fun, I had a bad landing and both wrists felt jammed. Not a biggie, but discomfort. I continue down the trail into a valley. As I come out into the clearing, I feel an insect bite. It felt like a horsefly sting, but I saw no bugs flying around. Then another and another.... my back is getting lit up. I decide this is for the birds... freaking invisible blood sucking insects have swarmed my bike... I haul ass home... wrists be damned. I get home and pull off my jersey... I picked up a ton of ants somewhere on the trail. My back is red and irritated, so I drown the damn ants and take a shower. A disappointing day all the way around.

This route even kind of looks like an insect...  not cool

1 comment: