Monday, August 10, 2015

and then... the humbling experience...

The plan was 60+ km of on/off road riding on the Boso peninsula.  The forecast was going to be hot and humid.  I avoided alcohol all week and I stayed hydrated as best I could all week leading up to the ride.  I get up at 4am and try to eat breakfast.  My body is rejecting it.  I choke down some food, but feel awful about it and throw away the rest.  Yes, I am worried about calories, but throwing up is seemingly eminent if I keep eating.  I drink a cup of coffee and a few glasses of water and head out.

I started the ride with 2 other riders.  We had to ride roughly six paved miles to get to the Kurihama ferry to cross the Tokyo bay to meet up with the other riders.  Once we met up, it was time to hit 7-11 and load up on any last second things.  This ride would have minimal opportunity for food or water.

We head off and I immediately get the 'oh shit' feeling when you can tell your legs just did not wake up.  I figure somewhere along the way they will snap out of it...  nope.  It never happened.  My legs felt heavier with every pedal stroke.  There was nothing wrong with the bike... it is 100% the engine.


10km or so in, we hit the second climb and I know I am in trouble.  I am hoping my legs will wake up and behave, but it isn't happening.  I am laboring and the sweat is flowing.  I am consuming water at the rate I fear I will run out before I am able to refill...  doubt is a bitch and it is coming fast.

As we are at the 20km point - I fall behind again.  I was trying to get some food while descending and slowly lost touch with the group.  Which is rare for me to be in the back on a descent, but to be dropped?  This never happens, but feeling as I did, I needed calories and I would sacrifice the fun part to get them.  We reconnect and start another climb...  and the wheels fell off....



A couple guys circled back to check on me - and I could see they are still feeling fresh while my quads felt burnt up.  I also knew the big climb was ahead.  As I considered this a gentleman's ride - after being dropped several times, I decided it was time to bail out.  Juston looked at me and said we was hurting as well, so we headed back to the ferry while the others continued on their death march.

The ride back was pleasant as we just spun back and took paved roads.  My legs were hurt, but capable of this for a bit.

All in all - Juston and I rode 55km or so.  But by the time I got home, I felt significantly worse than out regular 70km ride.  I seem to have issues with cramps in this heat.  While I drink water and some electrolyte drinks - and this week - salt candy as well... the issues still sneak up.

Faaaack.

At this moment, it is difficult to see the light.  These past three weeks of riding in the heat have lead to slower ride times and cramps.  At least Chiba offered some beautiful views along the ride.



2 months to SSWC...  I need to figure my issues out and get back on the SS

No comments:

Post a Comment