Monday, September 7, 2015

Maybe I am starting to "get it" - Give less fucks, have more fun...

The rain continues....  Rain Rain Rain...

So on Labor day, I had the opportunity to get two rides in... one at 0600 and one at 1300.
I asked on the local MTB facebook group if anyone wanted to join in the wet fun...

For the afternoon ride... I had a taker!

Maybe it is my lack of derailleurs, my inexpensive chain, my lack of desire to be 'fast' anymore when on the Soma or maybe a combo?  But on this day, I just didn't care.  I would have fun and that was the only goal.  Never mind the rain.  Never mind this is not a trail I usually look forward to riding, but one I know won't be destroyed from riding in the rain.  90% of the trail is some variation of crushed rock.  Very little top soil for majority of the ride.  And to the cream on top - this trail has the least amount of spiders!


Ride #1
I rolled out around 5:45.  Super early for most, but a late start for me.  I would have been working for over an hour at this point if it weren't a holiday.  I rolled out and the rain let up.  It went from "rain" to a drizzle and general nastiness.  I hit the trail and the tree cover made it super dark.  The humidity and temps were fogging my glasses to the point of them being a safety issue.  Roughly a mile in, I took them off.  I rode in slick conditions and watched the river's fury like I have never seen.  This is usually a slow moving and quiet river... but today there was a rage to it.  You could hear it all through the woods...


Rolling without glasses and in the dark... I had a moment or two.  I got a branch or something right in the corner of my right eye at speed.  I took a moment to make sure all was well and to rinse out any crap that may have gotten in my eye.  I continued on to barely see some washed out areas that were not washed out a few days prior.   After a couple other close calls and realizing I was solo, I chose to turn back and head home.

*intermission - Enoshima Aquarium with the family...



Ride #2
Headed back out to the trail, but this time expecting to meet someone at the nearest 7-11 prior.
Ben shows up with a fat bike....  well hell, I am on a single speed - to each their own...  We have one goal - ride in less than optimal weather and have fun.  So we head off.  This is Ben's first time on this particular trail so we enter fairly chill and I point out the random stuff that has caught me off guard in the past.

Anyhow... easier to show than to explain....


2 comments:

  1. once you get wet... you can't get any wetter. At least have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I was determined to get out on the bike as long as there was no lightning,.
    I was stoked someone else actually was willing to ride in the weather. The Video does not capture how much rain we were dealing with... Good times.

    ReplyDelete