Monday, September 14, 2015

Rides, Crashes & tire slashes....

So yesterday I went out to pre-ride the route I intended to take on Saturday morning.
I headed out to 7-11 and clicked on the GPS to start recording.  As I headed into the Morito River area, I ran into Shigeru and his riding partner.  We chatted for a bit and he warned me the trail was super slick ahead.  After a few minutes, we headed our opposite ways.

It took a little while, but I finally got to the slick stuff he was referring to.  It was not horrible, however if you were not expecting it, I could see where it would catch you off guard.  I get up to where the trail meets a river crossing and decide this is the turn around spot.  I head back incident free.

I head back to 7-11 and make my turn to go to the other trail.  It is just a road ride at this point for maybe a km so I just spin away, however the last 500 meters are maybe 5%.  So that part is not very enjoyable.

I get to thew park and push the bike up 10% grades on a jeep trail.  Once past the initial steep part (800m), I get back in the saddle and pedal. Not too far up is the trail I am going to use as a cut-over.  I drop the seat and jump in... I clear some roots I normally get stuck on, but due to the wet/slick conditions, I took it with more speed than normal... lesson learned in that part.  The trail is fairly fun with some quick drops and climbs - but eventually I get to another section that just can't be ridden.  Maybe 100m or so - then back in the saddle.  Sadly - the slick conditions are getting worse.  I decide walking a section is the safest route... but it is so slick, even that is sketchy.

I finally get to the trail I wanted and away we go!
I am able to get over mast obstacles and only walked the bike one small rooty uphill section.
Things are feeling good until I get to the "clay chutes" - they are super slick and I went down.  Not a biggie, I put myself up and start to slide a little... didn['t even pick up the bike yet... it is snot slick...

I continue on for a little bit and then I hit the slickest section of trail.  In less than 100m, I went down 4 times.  Walking was near impossible and riding was sketchy.  BUT - I was too far down the hill to go back up... so I keep heading down to Rt 16.

I get to the section that is maybe 70 steps.  They are wood and oddly spaced.  I have ridden it a few times without issue... but today, the foliage is all overgrown.  I more or less give up on look to see the steps and just concentrate on keeping the vines from catching my bars...  I continue down without incident - until....  SPLOOSH!

On one of the last three steps I get a flat.  That sucks... but I prop the bike up, clean off the bead and attempt to reset it...  in vain.  The mosquitoes are buzzing all around, so I opt to walk my bike out of the woods and take a look again in a clearing.

Then I see it.  The 1.5cm slash in the sidewall....  Time to walk home.


The amusing part to me.. I was not even frustrated.  I just started walking.  When I got to a convenience store, I bought a beer and kept walking.  I took off my shoes because they were rubbing my heel raw, but over all - it was a beautiful day out and i was just happy to be outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment